Sunday, November 13, 2011

The Greatest Book Ever


So, I have a deep abiding love in my life that has given me much joy and great happiness. And that love is for Harry Potter. Harry Potter is one of the first books that I read and enjoyed. I love the books, I love the characters, I love the themes, I love the good conquering evil, and yes, I love the movies. Harry Potter has been a big part of my life since I was at least 10 years old. When I got my mission call I quickly noticed that my leaving date was two weeks before the release date of the final Harry Potter movie. WHAT! Something that had been integral part of over half my life was coming to an end and I was going to miss it? It was really sad to me but it wasn't going to stop me from going on my mission. 

Since coming on my mission I have re-started the Book of Mormon. I've read and studied it before, I've prayed about it, and I believed it was true. But one of the messages I got from conference was to "feast upon the words of Christ" 1 and as I have begun applying that to my studies, the Book of Mormon has opened up to me. I read as often as I can; while I eat breakfast, as part of my daily study, during lunch, and before I go to bed. I love it, I love the people in it, I love the things it teaches, I love the spirit I feel as I read it, and I know it's true.

The Book of Mormon has been a part of my life since I was born but I hadn't truly appreciated it or received as much from it as I could until a few months ago. I wouldn't trade the opportunity I have right now to devote myself and all my attention to sharing the Book of Mormon and spreading the gospel to God's children for anything. Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part II will be there when I get back.

I love Harry Potter, but I know that the greatest book, the one we can receive the most truth, direction, and joy from as we read from it, is the Book of Mormon. The Book of Mormon is the word of God and it comes with a promise to all that read and "ask God, the Eternal Father, in the name of Christ, if these things are not true; and if ye shall ask with a sincere heart, with real intent, having faith in Christ, he will manifest the truth of it unto you, by the power of the Holy Ghost." 2 I know this is true and I invite everyone to get a copy, read from it, pray about it, and act on it. It's true and it will bless your life forever.


1 comment:

  1. Great video. I think is just might be better than that one waiting for you when you get back. :)

    ReplyDelete